PDA

View Full Version : Cash (with poll :P )

Wiper
08-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Maybe start a streak of threads here

Statement: Stop with all the cash-money and pay let we all pay with the creditcard cuz it's much safer.

Agree, disagree or I don't care?

Hehe and close it if it's way to serious for a gaming forum

Bingo
08-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Paying for what? Some stuff will always be a lot safer with cash.

So do you mean anything specifically or just in general?

Death Engineer
08-19-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm with Bingo... I have no clue what you're saying. Perhaps that should be an option on the poll ("What the heck are you talking about??").

PS. Disagree only has one 's' in it. ;)

Wiper
08-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Talking in general here...just think about it. Main argument used: Hard to rob money out of a store if there ain't cash.

And thnx for the grammar :P

Anywayz, if it's ok by you that it eventually all payments will be electronic vote agree or I don't care :D

Sepra
08-20-2008, 12:10 AM
People still actually use cash? :rolleyes:

Bingo
08-20-2008, 12:12 AM
I voted disagree - though I actually very rarely ever carry cash.

However, cash is absolutely needed (In my opinion) (which is the right one, by the way :) )

If nothing else, for random transactions between 2 random people.

If I go meet some dude to buy something off Craig's List, the last thing I'm gonna do is give the guy my credit card!

Wiper
08-20-2008, 12:20 AM
I voted disagree - though I actually very rarely ever carry cash.

However, cash is absolutely needed (In my opinion) (which is the right one, by the way :) )

If nothing else, for random transactions between 2 random people.

If I go meet some dude to buy something off Craig's List, the last thing I'm gonna do is give the guy my credit card!

Technical issue which can be easily solved :) (these days in the Netherlands you can give ur buddy money by sending a sms)

Death Engineer
08-20-2008, 01:36 AM
You always have to have some sort of currency. I mean, who wants to trade 10 wheelbarrels of rocks for a loaf of bread? You need some kind of standard.

But I hardly ever carry more than $20 on me because I use credit cards for nearly everything now.

Perfect aim
08-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Credit Cards are Bad, Atleast for Gas station owners xD, my dad gets charged every month$4000 just for interest fees and stuff from the people who use their credit cards at the store :/.

SO CASH!

Banshee
08-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Disagree, cuz every electronic transaction can be very easily found and tracked. I need my card only for ATMs. Hardly ever to pay for something.

Death Engineer
08-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I guess that's a double edged sword for those that are ultra concerned about privacy. However, I'm with you. I use Quicken and online banking and between the two of them, it has revolutionized the way I handle finances compared to just using a checkbook and balancing credit card statements by hand growing up.

@Perfect aim: I don't consider credit cards bad. They are just a cost of doing business. And believe me...I know the costs ... as a business owner you see that hit your bottom line. I do know that alot of people USE credit cards poorly by spending more than they make and making just the minimum payment every month until they are just barely affording the interest.

EXEcution
08-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Disagree, cuz every electronic transaction can be very easily found and tracked.

Oh really? So you can find and track electronic transactions? I mean if it's THAT easy?

You don't present a very good argument simply because what you say isn't true. Sure if you are a hacker and know how to get into say a company's or bank's system and extract credit card information then all the power to you. Chances are you will be caught and persecuted.

Security systems are constantly improving and afaik most banking sites use 128-bit encryption. It's not impossible to hack, because nothing really is impossible to hack, but it would make things much harder for someone who wants to get their hands on your cc info.

I'm sure that eventually cash will be entirely phased out because it is not very secure compared to electronic "cash". But cash represents something solid and tangible as opposed to your credit card which is a very abstract way of representing how much money you really have.

Let's also make the distinction that a credit card gives a person instant access to a loan which is subject to an interest rate and therefore is less favorable compared to cash. The other alternative is a debit card which links up to your checking account and is basically just like carrying around a wad of $1's, $5's, $10's, $20's, and change in your pocket.

Wiper
08-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh really? So you can find and track electronic transactions? I mean if it's THAT easy?

You don't present a very good argument simply because what you say isn't true. Sure if you are a hacker and know how to get into say a company's or bank's system and extract credit card information then all the power to you. Chances are you will be caught and persecuted.

Security systems are constantly improving and afaik most banking sites use 128-bit encryption. It's not impossible to hack, because nothing really is impossible to hack, but it would make things much harder for someone who wants to get their hands on your cc info.

I'm sure that eventually cash will be entirely phased out because it is not very secure compared to electronic "cash". But cash represents something solid and tangible as opposed to your credit card which is a very abstract way of representing how much money you really have.

Let's also make the distinction that a credit card gives a person instant access to a loan which is subject to an interest rate and therefore is less favorable compared to cash. The other alternative is a debit card which links up to your checking account and is basically just like carrying around a wad of $1's, $5's, $10's, $20's, and change in your pocket.

Sorry to say EXE but ur missing the bigger picture where Banshee is aiming @ here :)

I'm totally on the hand of Banshee.

BobtheCkroach
08-20-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm very much a card user (debit only. Proud to say I'm almost 25 and have never owned a true credit card in my life). I probably have physical money on me for less than 50 days in a year.

That said, I absolutely believe that physical money has to stay.

What if you don't want to be "on the grid." I might not subscribe to it, but if someone doesn't trust a bank to hold their money, it is absolutely their right to horde their entire life's savings under the bed, and should remain so.

Why should I be forced to give my money to a big brother for him to hold? If I want to physically manage my own money, that should be my right.

There are also too many ways in which that would just be painfully inconvenient, too.

Informal person-to-person transactions? sucky. Sure, you can set up 1-time only credit cards and such through various services. But let's say you're just out in the country and you see people selling lemonade, ears of corn, whatever (i don't know about where everyone else is from, but in my area of Michigan, once summer hits, there are farmers selling peaches, cherries, apples, blueberries, watermelons, corn and a bunch of other stuff. It's done with a stand on the side of the road by the farm, and a credit card situation would be ridiculous).

Goober
08-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I can't believe Nitro has not weighed in on this one. The U.S. Government would love it if there were no cash transactions. I can hear them laughing all the way to the IRS. Just think, every yard sale would have to collect sales tax and pay income tax on each sale. Every flea market would have to do the same. The credit card companies would love it too, they not only get interest from the buyer but the seller has to give them a cut too.

EXEcution
08-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Sorry to say EXE but ur missing the bigger picture where Banshee is aiming @ here :)

I'm totally on the hand of Banshee.

Then his point is likely about privacy and not security. Please state your point instead of just saying that I'm missing the bigger picture. Maybe you are the one missing it since you don't seem to want to post it.

I agree with Bob in that every person has the right to personally hold on to his or her cash. It is theirs to be had and not the bank's or government's. Money is or at the very least should be a privately owned and held asset.

Credit cards simply make CERTAIN transactions easier. Paying your bills or ordering stuff online probably would be a lot harder if it wasn't for credit cards. The point is that cash is very liquid compared to credit and it is also very private. This is why people that deal drugs are using CASH and not credit.

OUTLAWS Tip
08-21-2008, 12:46 AM
I prefer to use cash for most transactions. Credit/Debit cards are a must for Internet shopping and help against loss from theft but they also do have a bunch of problems.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21454847/

:(

Wiper
08-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Then his point is likely about privacy and not security. Please state your point instead of just saying that I'm missing the bigger picture. Maybe you are the one missing it since you don't seem to want to post it.

I agree with Bob in that every person has the right to personally hold on to his or her cash. It is theirs to be had and not the bank's or government's. Money is or at the very least should be a privately owned and held asset.

Credit cards simply make CERTAIN transactions easier. Paying your bills or ordering stuff online probably would be a lot harder if it wasn't for credit cards. The point is that cash is very liquid compared to credit and it is also very private. This is why people that deal drugs are using CASH and not credit.

My question was pretty clear I guess....it's u who misinterpretated the intentions :)

EXEcution
08-21-2008, 01:00 AM
My question was pretty clear I guess....it's u who misinterpretated the intentions :)

It's you who doesn't even comprehend the depth of this discussion and you choose to stay out of it because you have no valuable input. There's more than one angle to this discussion and if you don't see it and choose to say that I am ignorant then you are the fool.

Wiper
08-21-2008, 01:02 AM
It's you who doesn't even comprehend the depth of this discussion and you choose to stay out of it because you have no valuable input. There's more than one angle to this discussion and if you don't see it and choose to say that I am ignorant then you are the fool.

Well not gonna argue about this and I wasn't saying ur ignorant....

all about awareness :)

EXEcution
08-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Well not gonna argue about this and I wasn't saying ur ignorant....

all about awareness :)

No it's not about awarness. It's about courtesy and actually taking the time to write a thoughtful reply or argument to someone who has taken the time to post in your thread.

ME BIGGD01
08-21-2008, 03:06 AM
This is a tricky question overall. I have to agree with Execution that even the thought of this would have to be well thought out. Too much change would happen and when this actually does happen there will be NWO. What if every country used the same currency? How do you work this out with inflation? You might think it would solve many issues but it will also cause a lot of problems and thos issues that were solved would be truned into another issue.

I always carry a few bucks on me for tips and emergency. Don't like credit cards because they are evil. People who use credit cards for purchases are foolish and will eventually start costing yourself more for everything. Like my wife who has run credit cards up 3 times sice married I must say when you calculate the interest rate at the end of the month toward the purchases, people are getting ripped off.

Banshee
08-21-2008, 07:29 AM
well, Exe, I didn't say I can do such things, did I? It's not about security, however the question was about it.
Now I can make a statement that You said me a drug dealer.

Lady Doom
08-21-2008, 02:14 PM
And again u can't say anything. It's not about u say something else...it's about ppl here are not nice. That's why I even don't come here(I guess all cry;) )

EXEcution
08-21-2008, 02:37 PM
well, Exe, I didn't say I can do such things, did I? It's not about security, however the question was about it.
Now I can make a statement that You said me a drug dealer.

You said that "every electronic transaction can be very easily found and tracked." Cash transactions can be tracked as well. Bills can be marked and such. Cash can also be counterfeited and completely destroyed (remember The Dark Knight scene where the Joker burns his half of the money and says that it's not about the money it's about sending a message.)

If something can be easily tracked then it means that it is not very secure. Unless you have a government agency tracking electronic transactions because they suspect that a certain someone is doing something illegal then yes it's possible but by no means is it EASY.

Another thing is that cash is tangible and you can see it. I can see where a briefcase full of cash is going. I cannot physically see how an electronic transaction is occurring over a network. Get my point?

Remember there is always more than one way of looking at an argument. You have to consider all angles if you are going to post a reasonable response.

Banshee
08-21-2008, 05:41 PM
If there are so many ways too lokk at this matter, why did you assume that there is only one way? you should know that except information you gained/learned there is also something importnat-experience.and my experience is (and saw it with my own eyes) that using only credit card is not safe. I don't want to give exact example with specific information cuz it's private information and I don't have permission to make them public.
I don't see any arguments from your side except obvious information-cash is tangible, I can see it.I can't see electronic transactions without proper technical support. But it's not quite a piece of cake, but easy for people who really want to do it and want to put just a bit effort in this matter.
I don't know if you are really interested about this kind of stuff which occurs all over the world, but not so long ago - imagine- you are doing to take cash out from ATM, you insert you card , enter your PIN and get money outa machine.That's it.and one minute later your account is empty.just 2cm long device sticked to hole where you insert your card is installed.you don't even notice it's there.
I consider every angles. But I always make a though-shortcut and show the point which is most important for me at the moment as simply, as I can.
and now another example-u can get a device (I won't write it cost) which makes you able to copy data from your SIM card and use them as it was yours in your cellphone.well there are dozens of devices even for credit cards.when it comes to electronic devices and stored data on them there will always be someone who is going to hack it and make it smplier and available for wider group. if you think that credit cards are safe then I don't know which world you are living on. and that is not the reality in Poland only.
good luck.

petter
08-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Damn credit cards.. I never use my credit card other than for withdraws in machines about once a month, and I'm always careful even when doing that. Still my bank called me one morning and asked me if I had been in Tokyo the day before and bought 3000$ worth of electronic stuff. I could proove I hadn't been there so I got it back, but those noobs in the bank was just laughing nervoulsy saying they had "no idea" how that could happen when I demanded an explanation. Yea right.. they know as well as me that any kid on the dark side could have pulled that off. I just for my life can't figure out when the card was photographed, since I'm being so carefull.

Death Engineer
08-21-2008, 10:22 PM
...Don't like credit cards because they are evil. People who use credit cards for purchases are foolish and will eventually start costing yourself more for everything. ...

No doubt that people can use credit cards foolishly. But to say that using credit cards alone will lead to those foolish behaviors is a bit of a jump to me. I'm the counter example. I have 13 years of credit card history having never carried a balance month to month.

To those of you who aren't using credit cards at all, I would encourage you to explore the possibility of using one responsibly. If you don't, you may find that you won't be able to get a reasonable interest rate on that car or home loan when you need it. Other than prior ownership, credit cards and other loans are easily the most important to a lender.

Wiper
08-21-2008, 10:26 PM
"for our own safety" and "It's very handy/usefull!"

I'm not a religious guy neither do I believe in the "mark of the beast", what I do is believing in freedom and privacy for what many people died/still die for and many people "say" they think it's important. Yet we're giving up more and more freedom/privacy and accepting technology just by not knowing what is happening these days.

small example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82L3qU33CwY&feature=related

Anywayz, small explanation of what is happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Maj1I6kH0&feature=related

and especially check the last part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjhJNNvCUIM&feature=related

Paranoid/insane? Most don't even know about the existing of RFID yet they might have bought stuff already with such a chip in it and paid with the credit card.

http://www.rfidgazette.org/walmart/index.html

Hehe, too serious so anyone up a game? :P

petter
08-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Well Wipi people really still believe our governments are protecting us :funny:

EXEcution
08-22-2008, 02:44 AM
If there are so many ways too lokk at this matter, why did you assume that there is only one way? you should know that except information you gained/learned there is also something importnat-experience.and my experience is (and saw it with my own eyes) that using only credit card is not safe. I don't want to give exact example with specific information cuz it's private information and I don't have permission to make them public.
I don't see any arguments from your side except obvious information-cash is tangible, I can see it.I can't see electronic transactions without proper technical support. But it's not quite a piece of cake, but easy for people who really want to do it and want to put just a bit effort in this matter.
I don't know if you are really interested about this kind of stuff which occurs all over the world, but not so long ago - imagine- you are doing to take cash out from ATM, you insert you card , enter your PIN and get money outa machine.That's it.and one minute later your account is empty.just 2cm long device sticked to hole where you insert your card is installed.you don't even notice it's there.
I consider every angles. But I always make a though-shortcut and show the point which is most important for me at the moment as simply, as I can.
and now another example-u can get a device (I won't write it cost) which makes you able to copy data from your SIM card and use them as it was yours in your cellphone.well there are dozens of devices even for credit cards.when it comes to electronic devices and stored data on them there will always be someone who is going to hack it and make it smplier and available for wider group. if you think that credit cards are safe then I don't know which world you are living on. and that is not the reality in Poland only.
good luck.

Going to an ATM to withdraw cash is a purely physical transaction. Cash is involved. I am talking about strictly electronic transactions. One that doesn't involve sliding a credit card through a machine.

You always assume some risk when withdrawing cash from an ATM. Your argument is very biased because you write from an experience you personally had. The general idea is that cash can just as easily be stolen from you, whereas a credit card or debit card is much more secure BECAUSE it can be traced and the person who tried to steal your money via your credit card can be tracked down.

If you are walking down the street with cash in your pockets and you get robbed then than money is as good as gone.

I am not saying that credit cards are unhackabe because nothing really is. You make a good point in saying that a person who is willing enough can steal credit card info but most banks have security systems in place along with insurance policies that make you feel safer about managing your money through the bank as opposed to dealing with cash which can be easily misplaced and lost.

ME BIGGD01
08-22-2008, 03:05 AM
No doubt that people can use credit cards foolishly. But to say that using credit cards alone will lead to those foolish behaviors is a bit of a jump to me. I'm the counter example. I have 13 years of credit card history having never carried a balance month to month.

To those of you who aren't using credit cards at all, I would encourage you to explore the possibility of using one responsibly. If you don't, you may find that you won't be able to get a reasonable interest rate on that car or home loan when you need it. Other than prior ownership, credit cards and other loans are easily the most important to a lender.

I base my judgement not really about myself but the society we live in. It's almost like the housing crisis wher ethey start giving people credit cards know people will just run them up. My wife is one who uses her cards for everything. She use to just love shopping and throw each purchase on her card. I believe there are too many people like this which is what I mean by foolishness. I feel most people who have a credit card live outside of their means and you also have those that use them just to get away and enjoy something they really cannot afford within their budget. I think that would have been a better poll. Now saying all that does not mean everyone who uses a credit card is a fool either. To me I feel usingmy debit card is the smarter choice. I see it no different to using a credit card except I do not get a bill at the end of the month. Most people run up their credit cards and end up paying more for there purchase because of what they owe and the money they end up paying monthly could of been used for purchases they may want to make in the future. The banks know this and now they are rasing the interest rates on everyone which is going to really kill people. This is what I mean by foolishness. I prefer using money I have rather needing to owe anyone. Regarding my wife, it's abattle I gave up on a long time ago and it has costed me a fortune already because of it. 3 times since we have been married close to 100,000 on what I don't know. At this point I do not dare to bother or care what she does and told her to buy a 100,000 dollar hat if she wants. Now that she really can go to the mall I regret giving her a laptop.

Death Engineer
08-22-2008, 04:12 PM
I completely agree that most people probably do not use credit wisely. But this is really a deeper issue than credit cards alone. They are just the enabler. The real issue is personal responsibility. A credit card isn't a license to go buy stuff you wouldn't otherwise get. It is just another form of payment in my mind.

Living within your means, whatever that may be, is the real challenge and one that isn't necessarily praised in our society.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
In the present day, most of our monetary transactions are monitored and recorded whether it’s through credit cards, checks, ATM withdrawals, e-transactions, etc. Cash is currently the only way to make anonymous transactions. RFIDs, however, will redefine the way we will use cash in the future because, as other means of transactions, it will be monitored.

RFIDs will allow authorities and elites to observe us more closely. They can use this to their advantage to reduce or even eliminate fraud, theft, and corruption. The use of RFIDs in dollar bills can eventually be used commercially to determine spending patterns.

the above was copied and pasted from this blog:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.maksaa.com/images/RFID_Tag.jpg&imgrefurl=http://marquesdesa-s-2008cct205.blogspot.com/&h=3024&w=3073&sz=910&hl=en&start=25&usg=__RStqVcS3PjTKPWtGQ1v9E2QBTjE=&tbnid=K407kr59HNyzvM:&tbnh=148&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3DRFID%26start%3D18%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D 18%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

I use cash, credit cards, and a debit card. I enjoy it when I have a big fat wad of 100's in my wallet. It makes me feel important. You'll never get that feeling with a piece of plastic. :)

SASQUATCH
08-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Having one or two credit cards is fine but not having like 6 to 10. As for me Credit cards are important for building a credit score easy and that’s because if something should happen that requires the need to get a loan or credit, then I see this playing an important role but it’s just the matter of being responsible when using it. Having a credit card helps to build your credit score and for anyone coming right out of college etc has the ability to build the score. If I use my card it’s for things that I plan at the end of the month without having to pay so much interest, some do not charge no interest feed but this is one good way to build a good credit when needed for future events.

This is one of many easy ways to build a good credit and score.

Speedsweeper
08-23-2008, 08:50 AM
"for our own safety" and "It's very handy/usefull!"

I'm not a religious guy neither do I believe in the "mark of the beast", what I do is believing in freedom and privacy for what many people died/still die for and many people "say" they think it's important. Yet we're giving up more and more freedom/privacy and accepting technology just by not knowing what is happening these days.

small example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82L3qU33CwY&feature=related

Anywayz, small explanation of what is happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Maj1I6kH0&feature=related

and especially check the last part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjhJNNvCUIM&feature=related

Paranoid/insane? Most don't even know about the existing of RFID yet they might have bought stuff already with such a chip in it and paid with the credit card.

http://www.rfidgazette.org/walmart/index.html

Hehe, too serious so anyone up a game? :P

The mark of the beast is already being implemented my friend. Believe me.