PDA

View Full Version : Dumb

Mr Clean
09-12-2008, 11:38 PM
So I won't get ripped for being an insensitive jerk after the fact, I want to state up front that any moron who stayed in Galveston and ends up dying from Ike has no one to blame but themselves. I hope no one dies, but the photos rolling in now, 12 hours before landfall, show a hell of a lot of flooding already. It ain't even windy yet. It's one thing to be pinned under a house, you can survive for days that way. Pinned under a house with 4 feet of water in it and you have maybe a minute tops...

Good luck down there if you stayed.

The title from this pic was "Man tries to save car swept away by floodwaters...I smell Darwin Award.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
09-12-2008, 11:42 PM
It's gonna be bad there. This thing is huge. The winds that are 100+ mps are over 100 miles wide. When the National Hurricane Center says get the Fu*K out of Dodge you go.

Sirc
09-12-2008, 11:43 PM
But if you stay, and survive, you get to wear a t-shirt that says "I survived Ike". Totally worth the risk.

FUS1ON
09-12-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't see you being insensitive is saying that Clean. I saw them dummies on TV too saying they were staying and one saying "They can't make you leave your property" and smiling ... I thought to myself "No, but they can move you when they zip up that bag on your dumb ass". I'll pray for them fools.

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
09-12-2008, 11:58 PM
I don't see you being insensitive is saying that Clean. I saw them dummies on TV too saying they were staying and one saying "They can't make you leave your property" and smiling ... I thought to myself "No, but they can move you when they zip up that bag on your dumb ass". I'll pray for them fools.

That is if they don't find you on an Oil Righ somewhere.

They did rename my state.

I no longer live in the Sunshine State. It is now the plywood state.

Mr Clean
09-13-2008, 12:06 AM
But if you stay, and survive, you get to wear a t-shirt that says "I survived Ike". Totally worth the risk.

LOL better yet, a thong...

OUTLAWS WHOCARES
09-13-2008, 12:09 AM
To be honest I don't think that part of the country is built to hold up against storms like this. Down here most of our buildings are built to stand these storms. I don't get out of bed unless it's a Cat 3.

Oh yea some please photoshop Sirc in his thong into the picture clean posted.

Mr Clean
09-13-2008, 12:11 AM
To be honest I don't think that part of the country is built to hold up against storms like this. Down here most of our buildings are built to stand these storms. I don't get out of bed unless it's a Cat 3.

Oh yea some please photoshop Sirc in his thong into the picture clean posted.

LOL good idea...

Sirc
09-13-2008, 12:32 AM
I have a much larger image of me and my thong that would be easier to Photoshop. If I can find it I'll post it. :)

Suicidal
09-13-2008, 01:38 AM

What I had thought was "yeah, but triple digit wind speeds have a lot more driving force then 'they' do."

But yours is a lot better.

NightBreed
09-13-2008, 01:54 AM
It's like that guy who was windsurfing during Fay a few weeks back..Guy got thrown against the side of a building with all those high winds :rolleyes: but some EMT or paramedic's gotta risk their neck to go out there at the height of the storm to administer first aid..
Oughta be a liability clause in there somewhere...send 'em a bill !! :thumbs:

Death Engineer
09-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Having vacationed in Galveston last Oct., I can tell you that the videos and pictures I've seen are pretty devastating already. They used the terms "certain death" for those that stayed in first and second story homes in Galveston.

In Austin we are seeing a ton of folks on the roads heading north from Houston. The largest evac center here holds 2000 and filled up last night. Lots more churches and schools have opened since then, but it is pretty wild out here.

UPDATE: I went to the airport and it was a bit weird on the road. Gas was pretty scarce as only 1 out of about 12 stations near our house still had any fuel (and it was 3.86 ... was 3.54 earlier in the day). Tons of out of town drivers -- some driving way too fast, others driving way too slow. Changing lanes unexpectedly, etc. The airport wasn't as crowded as I expected it to be, but it was definitely more crowded than usual.

Mr Clean
09-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Here's why you don't stay when a hurricane is coming...

They will not know how many died for probably months since no one knows how many stayed...very, very sad.

NightBreed
09-15-2008, 08:48 PM
If you want to read a good book, read Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson...it's the story of the 1900 hurricane that hit Galveston, just as the National Weather Service was coming into existence..

Amazon link.. (http://www.amazon.com/Isaacs-Storm-Deadliest-Hurricane-History/dp/0375708278/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221511430&sr=8-1)

guy's a great author, he's got another one about the Chicago Worlds Fair too..really interesting how they built it pretty much by hand..

JIMINATOR
09-16-2008, 03:33 PM
eh, if you lived in that first house in the photo, you would be fine. :D

Death Engineer
09-16-2008, 05:08 PM
I was just about to say.....I wonder what they did different on that house. Some builder ought to be proud.

Very sad situation and I have to agree that those that didn't get out must have been either dumb or living in cave not to know what was coming.

JIMINATOR
09-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Darwinism.... hopefully it got the kids too....

:D :D :D :D

Ok, ok, some cruel humor there, just joking.