PDA

View Full Version : tab please !!

Nick
10-09-2008, 04:57 PM
recently a couple of friends of mine went to florida on vacation and had a what I deem a strange situation...

they were 3 couples at a restaurant and when it came time to pay they asked for a tab for each of the couples (3 tabs).. the waiter looked at them as if they were weird and brought one tab for the lot...

as hard as they tried, they did not get 3 tabs... apparently, this is common practice in many places...

I am glad this did not happen to me because I would of freaked out on the waiter something wicked...

In Québec they gladly bring you the tabs like you want and always ask before bringing it (them)...

how does it work where you live and do you find this normal?

JIMINATOR
10-09-2008, 05:57 PM
uh, you tell the cashier what you are paying for when you take the bill up. it gets more complex if you pay from the table, then each person contributes enough to cover their portion and a tip, or divide the amount by the number of people. The last works worse, because some will overpay and others will get off cheaper.

SASQUATCH
10-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I always get stuck with the bill. LOL

Sepra
10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I never heard of not being able to get seperate tabs :confused:

Sepra
10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I never heard of not being able to get seperate tabs :confused:

Maybe the waiter just couldn't understand those crazy Quebec accents? :P

Oops, meant to edit instead of quote, but you get it.

Death Engineer
10-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I think the only time I've seen anything like that is with larger parties. They typically won't take a party of 15 and do 15 checks (at least not here in Austin).

OUTLAWS high ping camper
10-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah, you need to mention that you want seperate tabs/checks before you place your order.
A good waiter or waitress will ask: "Is this all together" before they take your order. :)

Mad Fox
10-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Just go Dutch. Cheapskates

OUTLAWS Tip
10-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeah, you need to mention that you want seperate tabs/checks before you place your order.
A good waiter or waitress will ask: "Is this all together" before they take your order. :)

No, a good waiter will hope it is all on one check. It is a pain the ass writing separate checks.
:D

Small parties aren't really a problem, depending on how busy it is. Imagine the time it takes to write separate checks and if they pay cash getting them their individual change.

If you are going to do it. Definately say something when you are ordering.
:D

Bingo
10-09-2008, 11:30 PM
The only thing I can think of is maybe the waiter didn't understand the fact that "tab" was being used instead of "check". I've never heard someone use the term tab but I think I would have figured it out.

Where in Fla did they go, out of curiousity?

Goober
10-09-2008, 11:55 PM
The only thing I can think of is maybe the waiter didn't understand the fact that "tab" was being used instead of "check". I've never heard someone use the term tab but I think I would have figured it out.

You've never run up a bar tab?

We've had 8 couples at Red Lobster and they brought us all seperate checks. I do believe the custom at most restaurants is they will give you seperate checks if you ask, but they will add the gratuity to it for parties over 8.

NightBreed
10-10-2008, 02:26 PM

Where in Fla did they go, out of curiousity?

Same here, Bingo..we run up a "tab" at a bar, never heard the term used in a sit-down restaurant...
Must be a regional thing, we ask for separate checks here in Connecticut...

Nick
10-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm french Canadian :P I don't know the term they used :)

SP.. do you speak to many Québecers in your MMORPGs ? cause Im not that bad :P