PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Hitchens and Rabbi Shmuley Boteach Debate at New York

SASQUATCH
10-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Christopher Hitchens and Rabbi Shmuley Boteach Debate on God at New York's 92nd Street Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnMYL8sF7bQ&feature=related

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnMYL8sF7bQ&feature=related)
Christopher Hitchens isn’t liked by many especially religion people but its worth watching and very educational between these two edify men.
It’s a long program debate at about 1 hour and 33 minutes but worth watching or listening.

GM members who may-be interested I very much like you guys to check it out if you find the time because I may begin a topic on this debate sometime later but will hold until you guys have watched it. I would hope that when we do begin discussions on this debate that it will not veer off in a direction of disrespecting others belief, but focus on the issues and that way we can learn from each other’s opinions.

When you guys have watched it, please post back here to let me know and once we can get about 8 to 10 people or more who have watched this debate, I then will begin with a topic on the discussion that was mention and continue on a bit with more until it ends in a peaceful way.

If by any chance this doesn’t work, it was an idea to have an educational discussion between us and as an adult without insults or any kind but only base on what was said and so on. it's a way to give a bit of spice to the forum if it should workout.

Thank you
SAS -

Death Engineer
10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
How long is the debate and what is the subject?

SASQUATCH
10-20-2008, 10:56 PM
1 hour and 33 minutes and the topic is Hitchens and Boteach Debate on God.

I think you might find it interesting to hear them both debate DE.

I was hoping maybe DE, Nitro, Sirc, Mr. Clean, Execution and many others might be interested.

Five names that I mention usually participate in these particular discussions.

What I will do is bring up a topic base on what was said in a question and that way people can
answer to their own term or opinions. Once pretty much everyone said there peace I then will move on to the next question etc.

In the end there will be a final conclusion between anyone who has participated and close the discussion.

This will work nicely as long as everyone respects each others beliefs and opinion's.

Sirc
10-20-2008, 11:56 PM
1 hour and 33 minutes and the topic is Hitchens and Boteach Debate on God.

I think you might find it interesting to hear them both debate DE.

I was hoping maybe DE, Nitro, Sirc, Mr. Clean, Execution and many others might be interested.

Five names that I mention usually participate in these particular discussions.

What I will do is bring up a topic base on what was said in a question and that way people can
answer to their own term or opinions. Once pretty much everyone said there peace I then will move on to the next question etc.

In the end there will be a final conclusion between anyone who has participated and close the discussion.

This will work nicely as long as everyone respects each others beliefs and opinion's.

I think this is the first time anyone has ever asked me to participate in a debate. :eek:

* eyes well with tears *

However, I'm not going to play for several reasons.

1. You cannot debate against a truly religious person about religion. It's a circular debate that continuously comes back to it being a matter of faith, of simply believing, and that's simply not debatable.

2. I like DE, and I understand he has an unshakable faith in God, and I don't want to get him pissed off at me. I'm not sure DE even gets pissed off - he's one of the most level-headed, patient, and accepting people I've ever interacted with on any forum. And I really don't care to explore his tolerance boundaries.

3. Suppose you convince a religious person to abandon their faith. Then what? That's not a responsibility that I want to carry.

4. There will not be and has never been a "final conclusion" in a religious debate. It concludes when people get pissed off and leave the discussion, or get banned for angry personal attacks. And then the thread is closed.

5. Mr Clean is a silly pseudo-intellectual with an extremely condescending manner. I'm really not interested in entering into any further conversations with him. And no, that wasn't an angry personal attack, just an observation. Really. :)

SASQUATCH
10-21-2008, 01:01 AM
I was going to talk more on the subject not related directly on religion beliefs but I will agree with you Sirc maybe it isn’t a good idea. It is like you said and I post something in that nature in what you said, that matter of faith, of simply believing, and that's simply not debatable, and that holds it’s argument and logical.

I will then pick on another subject that may have some interest without a bit of controversial means.

Ok Sirc that was well put and it ends this thread. Hehehe

If you do get a chance to watch this debate anyway check it out if you find the time guys.

EXEcution
10-21-2008, 03:37 AM
I watched about an hour of it. They both seemed passionate and made some good points, but it wasn't anything new. Both men appear very intelligent and I'm sure that they have spent a good part of their lives convincing themselves of some truth whether it's evolution or God.

To me this kind of debate doesn't serve much purpose except to maybe entertain and excite those who support either idea. Personally, and I'm sorry to disappoint you SAS, I have very little interest in proving whether the is or isn't a God. I only have doubt which I overcome by continually looking over different belief systems and taking in what I feel makes sense to me.

The very notion of God is very complex and can be interpreted continually ad infinitum. I think that it all goes back to the same basic idea of the existence of a changeless entity in a world that never ceases to change. I don't really believe in that kind of constant. First off, everything we say and do is contextual and thus can be taken out of context. From this we have confusion and with the considerable amount of knowledge that exists today about nearly everything it's easy to get confused.

I think that the world is a flux. People tend to avoid this notion because of fear and a need to cling onto something physical and rational. Humans like most other animals do not like change or doubt, however both are inescapable and we are all victim to the two.

All we can do is just live and see how things play out in the long run. Don't take anything too seriously because like the late Bill Hicks said life is "just a ride".

SASQUATCH
10-21-2008, 04:17 AM
This is just to hear both sides in how they explain there views is what I was interested. It was a good debate to hear there intellectual views that interest me. I wasn't looking to hear who did better but to hear these two man who are very educated and knowledgeable.

Death Engineer
10-22-2008, 11:16 PM
I really would like to listen to this and contribute to dialog about it, but I am simply buried right now. If you can put the discussion off for a week or two (or even if not), I WILL listen to it. I haven't seen my kids for 48 hours due to work/meetings/etc.

SASQUATCH
10-23-2008, 01:21 PM
DE anytime will be fine we can wait the kids come first no problem buddy.

I maybe picking another topic because Sirc made a good point and to try to keep it peaceful that way we learn from each others.

Mr Clean
11-07-2008, 05:23 PM
5. Mr Clean is a silly pseudo-intellectual with an extremely condescending manner. I'm really not interested in entering into any further conversations with him. And no, that wasn't an angry personal attack, just an observation. Really. :)

LOL Thanks for sharing.