PDA

View Full Version : 55" Olevia vs. 47"

Death Engineer
11-21-2008, 08:49 PM
So I'm in the market for a fairly large LCD screen. Right now I'm torn between getting a screen that has rated well on online reviews, consumer reports, reputable brand, etc etc (probably Samsung) and just buying the massive 55" Olevia that Walmart has for $1299 right now. Does anyone else here own an Olevia screen?

I have an uncle that has 4 of them and they look fantastic. I'm concerned about the 10ms refresh rate though considering that I love to watch basketball. We're coming from a 32" 4:3 Sony on Dish Network. It looks great as far as SD goes, but just about any HD would look good I would think.

The other downside on the Olevia is that it's really heavy. 180lbs where most other screens around 52" are ~70lbs. Not sure why it's that much heavier. There's a strange lack of online reviews from professionals and users. The odd size and refresh rate makes me think they're using an older panel.

Anyways....let me know what you think. What you would do. What brands you have, like, dislike, etc.

OUTLAWS The Machine
11-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Sharp Aquos on sale for $1,599 at Best Buy. We have the 52" and it is awesome.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8511318&st=aquos&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1186005751234

Goober
11-22-2008, 02:31 AM
We also have the Aquos, love it long time. Has more inputs than most of the other brands,3 hdmi, 1 vga 2 composite, etc Also has a usb port for upgrading the firmware. Blue ray movies are just amazing on it. You will also like the 4ms response time. Next comp upgrade is going to have a hdmi output on it.
SHARP AQUOS (http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelDetailedSpecs/0,1161,1920-,00.html)

He Is Legend
11-22-2008, 05:06 PM
My uncle and I went out and bought the 52" aquos about 6 months ago, I cannot tell you how happy I am with its turnout. It's one amazing picture

As Goober said, blue-ray on that jammy jam is amazing, such a clear and stunning picture y0. If I were you I'd go with the Aquos, and its the official tv of the MLB.

ME BIGGD01
11-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I really have not be paying attention to the screens these days but my brother bought me a 40" Samsung series 7 LCD and I absolutely love the quality of it not only for HD but the ability to run any game on it without the ghosting. Another feature I love about these is the ability to connect the screen to the network and have it play video files, pictures and music etc from a computer that runs the utility. I would say check the screens that have this capability for media streaming which is great for family visits and photo album displays on a 1920x1200 display or higher.

I would check to see why the RR is so high. 10ms will cause ghosting along with not be able to keep up with Bluray. I believe Bluray will be updated again so if you are spending a lot for this, you may want to consider the future a bit.

Death Engineer
11-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I think I've talked myself out of the Olevia. Too much going against it. I'll keep looking as we are settling on the TV stand to put under it. My bet is that I can get a decent mid-level 47" for ~$1299 by the time Christmas rolls around.

Heck, they have the Samsung LN46A650 (46", 120Hz, Touch of Color) for $1359 w/free shipping according to techbargains.com. I don't know what the 7 series has that the 6 series doesn't, but I'm not big on the ethernet plug on the TV. I think I'll want a HTPC for that for multiple reasons (gaming, wireless internet, etc).

Thanks to everyone for your opinions.

ME BIGGD01
11-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Don't forget, Friday=Black Friday.

I would look to buy this day for those deals.

Pure_Evil
11-24-2008, 06:05 PM
I think I've talked myself out of the Olevia. Too much going against it. I'll keep looking as we are settling on the TV stand to put under it. My bet is that I can get a decent mid-level 47" for ~$1299 by the time Christmas rolls around.

Heck, they have the Samsung LN46A650 (46", 120Hz, Touch of Color) for $1359 w/free shipping according to techbargains.com. I don't know what the 7 series has that the 6 series doesn't, but I'm not big on the ethernet plug on the TV. I think I'll want a HTPC for that for multiple reasons (gaming, wireless internet, etc).

Thanks to everyone for your opinions.
Check Costco, they have a no hassle return policy and I'm betting you'll find a better deal too

Death Engineer
11-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Yep. I'm definitely thinking hard about buying local considering the no-hastle policies. I'll check out Costco, but we don't have a membership there anymore, so I have to balance that cost + the tax that I wouldn't be paying too.

Pure_Evil
11-25-2008, 05:17 AM
When I joined Costco, I had my sister in law poe as my wife, we split the fee and each got a card :P

$25 savings