PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Roar Detected From Faraway Space

SASQUATCH
01-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Here is the link that talks about it for those who maybe interested.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,477880,00.html

Banshee
01-09-2009, 09:17 AM
sounds(!) really interesting! thx for sharing SAS:thumbs:

Caged Anger
01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
didn't they also recently see a bright flash of light with no known explanation?

EXEcution
01-09-2009, 05:51 PM
"The signal is measured to be six times brighter than the combined emission of all known radio sources in the universe." That's pretty intense, but what does it mean?

JIMINATOR
01-09-2009, 06:27 PM
astronomy and physics is a fascinating topic. There are a lot of very readable books about the topic of universe creation. Well worth taking a look in your local llibrary. As to what this is, maybe it is "life" in another galaxy reaching out, similar to the way that our own radio emissions are going somewhere. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

EXEcution
01-09-2009, 07:39 PM
It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

A visit from Keanu Reeves?

OUTLAWS Tip
01-09-2009, 08:11 PM
E.T.'s finally grown up.
:D

JIMINATOR
01-09-2009, 08:19 PM
nah, astrophysicists use events like this to refine their theories on the creation of the universe, matter, etc. I meant in that context. besides godzilla would be more likely than keanu, although in his case maybe the aliens have already come...

Death Engineer
01-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I heard that it sounded more like a "Meow" than a roar...

Grimmy
01-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I heard that it sounded more like a "Meow" than a roar...

I farted, that's all.

Slay
01-09-2009, 10:13 PM
If this is a radio wave, how can it travel at the speed of light ?
Interesting though. :thumbs:

JIMINATOR
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM
all electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light. :)

Sirc
01-10-2009, 12:46 AM
all electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light. :)

Why? This has always confused me. The article stated that:

Radio waves are not sound waves, but they are still electromagnetic waves, situated on the low-frequency end of the light spectrum (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/dark_matter_sidebar_010105.html).

So are radio waves photons?

To this day, I don't think anyone has really determined what a photon is. It acts as both a wave and a particle, but a particle with no mass, which means it has no substance. And yet it is affected by gravity. Then again no one has figured out what causes gravity either.

We're still pretty much in "the earth is flat" stage, no matter how much we think we know. So much of our "knowledge" is based on observation and "what" things do without any idea of "why".

JIMINATOR
01-10-2009, 12:53 AM
the star trek answer is that a photon is a distortion in the time-space continuum field.... hell, everything probably is built on these distortions, that gets back to why does anything exist, where did it come from.... very strange universe we live in.

EXEcution
01-10-2009, 05:49 AM
From what I've read we've reached a point in science where we really can't clearly understand anything anymore using our present tools for measurement and any kind of calculations. Quantum physics has made science very "confusing".

What was once thought of as concrete and based on a very definite set of rules has turned into a set of rules where something may happen one way but then there's a chance of it happening some other way. So uncertainty is introduced into physics and the world. I think the paradox is trying to quantify uncertainty. That and the fact that when scientists observe something, the simple act of observation affects what they are observing.

However, science has taken us this far we just need to be patient and wait for the next breakthrough.

SASQUATCH
01-11-2009, 07:37 AM
However, science has taken us this far we just need to be patient and wait for the next breakthrough.

That's correct and there has been a lot more that has happen in the science that if you decided to look into it more you will be surprise how much we have learned.