PDA

View Full Version : Gran Torino

PJ'l_Master
01-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I dont care if you hate theaters this one is an absolute MUST see! we're talking like 10 out of 5 stars here, better then the dark knight (imo) by a long shot. Its Clint Eastwoods new movie which he also stars in, and it was absolutely hilarious and at the same time, one of the saddest movies ive ever seen. Definitely something to be checked out.

The trailer:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0BqbEbFnu4

EXEcution
01-10-2009, 07:10 PM
How can you say it's better than TDK when it's a completely different kind of movie? Clint Eastwood is famous for his drama films and I agree in that he is an excellent director. He builds up tension very well and his movies are very real.

I'll probably get it on DVD.

Here's a pretty good spoof of that trailer though.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/8c13a8882a/clint-eastwood-in-the-growler-from-trailermash

PJ'l_Master
01-10-2009, 08:23 PM
How can you say it's better than TDK when it's a completely different kind of movie? Clint Eastwood is famous for his drama films and I agree in that he is an excellent director. He builds up tension very well and his movies are very real.

I'll probably get it on DVD.

Here's a pretty good spoof of that trailer though.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/8c13a8882a/clint-eastwood-in-the-growler-from-trailermash

because i enjoyed the movie alot more, lol. hence the IMO bit

Caged Anger
01-10-2009, 08:57 PM
looks like a good one, probs go see it if I get the chance

btw, the spoof was funny :D

Suicidal
01-10-2009, 10:52 PM
My roomates think this is one of the best movies ever. I guess with that addition to you guys, I might as well go see it. I'm not a big movie fan, but I'll watch one every now and then

OUTLAWS Dixie Chick
01-11-2009, 03:53 AM
I've seen the previews for this and it's one I really want to see in the theater. I may try to go see tomorrow.

SASQUATCH
01-11-2009, 07:17 AM
This movie is a must see because Clint Eastwood played an excellent role and I will not be surprise if he is nominated for best actor or Director.

Clint Eastwood did so well that it reminded me of his great performance when he played Unforgiven, which I thought was an amazing acting he played.

The Gran Torino movie he acted so well and directed, and I enjoyed this movie.

For his Acting performance I give him 5 stars at of 5

He was Brilliant. . .

EXEcution
01-12-2009, 03:33 AM
I went ahead and saw this today. It wasn't bad. The message was definitely there. I didn't think the acting (besides Clint) was all that great. Some of it felt forced and unnatural.

I still don't see how this could be compared to TDK. To me it's like comparing apples and oranges.

PJ'l_Master
01-12-2009, 11:23 AM
I went ahead and saw this today. It wasn't bad. The message was definitely there. I didn't think the acting (besides Clint) was all that great. Some of it felt forced and unnatural.

I still don't see how this could be compared to TDK. To me it's like comparing apples and oranges.

because i enjoyed the movie alot more, lol. hence the IMO bit
:P

EXEcution
01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
You can keep saying it, but it doesn't change the fact that I disagree with your comparison.

PJ'l_Master
01-13-2009, 01:30 AM
then you could've said that the first time and saved me the trouble, haha

FUS1ON
01-13-2009, 04:34 AM
This movie takes you from one extreme end of emotions to the other, I felt anger, rage, sorrow, peace, happiness and everything in between those. The description on IMDB describes the movie like this "Disgruntled Korean War vet Walt Kowalski sets out to reform his neighbor, a young Hmong teenager, who tried to steal Kowalski's prized possession: his 1972 Gran Torino." This movie is so much more than that, for instance the scene where the 3 kids don't bother to help the lady with her groceries that she dropped ... that's just one message that Eastwood is trying to make about how low parts of our society has sank. There is so much more but I do not want to spoil it for the people that have not seen it yet.

I have a very short list of movies that I can watch over and over, movies like The Longest Day, The Shawshank Redemption and 300 and can now add Gran Torino to that short list. This was easily one of my favorites and if Gran Torino doesn't clean up at the awards, then the voting was rigged.

SASQUATCH
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
This movie takes you from one extreme end of emotions to the other, I felt anger, rage, sorrow, peace, happiness and everything in between those. The description on IMDB describes the movie like this "Disgruntled Korean War vet Walt Kowalski sets out to reform his neighbor, a young Hmong teenager, who tried to steal Kowalski's prized possession: his 1972 Gran Torino." This movie is so much more than that, for instance the scene where the 3 kids don't bother to help the lady with her groceries that she dropped ... that's just one message that Eastwood is trying to make about how low parts of our society has sank. There is so much more but I do not want to spoil it for the people that have not seen it yet.

I have a very short list of movies that I can watch over and over, movies like The Longest Day, The Shawshank Redemption and 300 and can now add Gran Torino to that short list. This was easily one of my favorites and if Gran Torino doesn't clean up at the awards, then the voting was rigged.

This was well said shogun. Cheers buddy you should be a critic writer excellent review and one of the best I have heard in a long time since Pathos reviews.

Cheers Sho! :thumbs:

SASQUATCH
01-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I didn't think the acting (besides Clint) was all that great.

What the hell were you watching, you miss the boat buddy. Try watching it again, this time listen and watch carefully for many messages that this movie has to offer.

EXEcution
01-13-2009, 08:53 PM
What the hell were you watching, you miss the boat buddy. Try watching it again, this time listen and watch carefully for many messages that this movie has to offer.

The acting wasn't bad (except for one or two scenes), it just didn't seem realistic to me. Most of the dialogue was good and I got the message, but the presentation could have been MUCH better.

SASQUATCH
01-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I would wait to see it again within a month or so ok. If you still feel the same way then that should be fine.

Anything could have been better and that is why when something isn't perfect, it is what gives it's unique quality.

OUTLAWS CHICO
01-14-2009, 04:47 AM
I have to say that I agree with Shogun . Clint Eastwood really did a great job on this film . If you are of an older generation you will appreciate this movie ,the younger kids might not have had to go thru some of the feelings and challenges this movie brings forth. Scale of 1 to 10 I give it 10

Asian Invasian
01-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Just watched it... awesome movie!

Pure_Evil
01-18-2009, 04:10 PM
I can actually see Frag's interpretation :P

What I would've liked to have seen was everyone who saw Gran Torino, go directly in to see Notorious, and vise verse, just because of the racial tendencies of both movies and the diversity of the 2 audiences

He Is Legend
01-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Just seen it yesterday, amazing movie

I thought the words Clint chose sometimes to make fun of the kid was funny as hell

"Pusscake" " dont put any big gay spoilers on it" " That old hag hates my ass "

LOL

Bingo
04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I finally watched this today. Very good movie.

Great look at racial tensions, stubborness, close-mindedness and all the other things that go along with an intolerant sort of person.

Clints acting was excellent, as was the Priest and the girl (Sue). I will say I thought Toad's acting was really below the mark and due to the high quality of the script and some of the other acting made him stick out like a sore thumb to me.

All in all still a very good movie. 4 of 5 for me.