PDA

View Full Version : City run ISP - 100Mbps, TW not happy

Death Engineer
04-22-2009, 07:00 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/Time+Warner+Embarq+Fight+to+Outlaw+100+Mbps+Commun ity+Broadband+in+Wilson+NC/article14934.htm

Pretty interesting article. Sounds like there is a business opportunity out there to undercut the big guys.

So what do you guys think? Would you support a $28M bond for something like this in your area? Do you think this is fair for Time Warner and other larger ISPs that must make a profit? Discuss. :thumbs:

FUS1ON
04-22-2009, 07:27 PM
That's a tough one, I know companies need to make a profit to exist but there also needs to competition to keep the prices in check. I'd love to stick it to the big boys once because I know the greedy SOBs will take an opportunity to gouge the public if it is given to them like the crap that is happening in your very own backyard. I had seen this awhile back and wondered about your thoughts, the last two paragraphs are what really sucks.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Time-Warner-Cable-Expands-Metered-Billing-101655

Back to your topic .... I'd have to say I support what that local government is trying to do, but i'm not sure i'd call it a "business opportunity" if they are operating "At Cost". I'd put myself in the "heavy downloader" catagory, i'm happy with my current speeds but like anyone else, i'd prefer the cost be lower.

Bingo
04-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Hmm. That is an odd situation.

On the one hand - I'd love to screw over the Cable/Tele Companies. They've been getting away with far too much for far too long.

On the other hand - is it right to require a for-profit company to compete against a non-profit entity doing the same thing? Especially when the Non-Profit is the government?

There are a few troubling points in there as well. Things like the Telco statement that 2-3 years to recover costs isn't a fair burden to take on. Seriously??

The really odd thing to me is the pricing that everyone is nuts for. They touted the government-owned company having a bill that was only 99 a month.

My bill is 99.00 a month for about 250 TV channels, full internet and full phone service (With all the long distance/voicemail etc). Now sure, I don't have the 10/10 up-down speeds but still. The companies around here are right in the ballpark. Are we just really unusual down here in our pricing or what?

Death Engineer
04-23-2009, 06:24 PM
I think the pricing there is worse as it is probably less dense.

@Shogun: I think it is a business opportunity as it sounds like there is room between the extreme prices of TW and the "at cost" offered by the city. Whether and when you could turn a profit with an initial investment of $28M is a tough one though. Probably a long road to success with a large number of customers.

I suspect this landscape will change dramatically with fiber becoming more mainstream in the next 3-5 years.