PDA

View Full Version : avatar - james cameron

JIMINATOR
12-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Anyone seen this? Thoughts, opinions?

Saw this yesterday. Lots of opinions on the story, it has been called a dances with wolves in space, also a "white guilt fantasy". No doubt you know the story already, it is the one that gets used in 50% of all sci-fi videos and games.

the movie has been hyped for the 3d and special effects. well, I have to say that the hype does not do these justice. some movies like to show beautiful landscapes and vistas. much of this movie looks entirely like that. tons of visual details everywhere. pure amazement. see and enjoy. :)

The Priest
12-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Anyone seen this? Thoughts, opinions?

Saw this yesterday. Lots of opinions on the story, it has been called a dances with wolves in space, also a "white guilt fantasy". No doubt you know the story already, it is the one that gets used in 50% of all sci-fi videos and games.

the movie has been hyped for the 3d and special effects. well, I have to say that the hype does not do these justice. some movies like to show beautiful landscapes and vistas. much of this movie looks entirely like that. tons of visual details everywhere. pure amazement. see and enjoy. :)

Yes love all James cameron films always big special effects can wait to see avatar.

FUS1ON
12-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm glad you quoted him so we know who's comment you were replying to lol

SASQUATCH
12-23-2009, 03:44 AM
I saw the movie and it reminds me of the story of the American Indians. The effects were excellent and this movie will do fine and I believe most will enjoy it, but as far as the story goes, it's like every other Hollywood movie who can't seems to come up with new stories or ideas but still entertaining and fun to watch.

I post about this movie coming up not long ago
http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85937

The movie I like to watch that is coming soon is Robin Hood with Russel Crowe and it looks interesting and most of all it was made by the same people who did Gladiator. I think this movie will have potential and do very will.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/robinhood/

Death Engineer
12-23-2009, 06:59 PM
I haven't seen it (yet), but there is ALOT of buzz about it all over the place. I keep hearing about it at work, friends, radio, just folks taking at restaurants. Seems like every late night show has people that aren't even in the movie plugging it. Seems like a must see.

MORGANA
12-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Avatar its just awesome! Watch in 3D, i did enjoyed every seconds.

Black Rose
01-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Avatar its just awesome! Watch in 3D, i did enjoyed every seconds.

yeep the movie is really spectacular and the special effects are amazing.:thumbs:
Really I would love to try out the game for PC. :)

JIMINATOR
01-03-2010, 01:01 AM
no...... baby. very bad reviews. the game is not the movie....

Black Rose
01-03-2010, 08:44 AM
no...... baby. very bad reviews. the game is not the movie....

oh really? :( bummer :(
I´ve seen the movie in 3D ... such a pretty grafic.. reminds me at UT2003 :)
Do you remember the map in UT where we jump from the mountains and flowers like in space? :) awesome :)

FUS1ON
04-12-2010, 08:01 PM
This was a pretty entertaining movie, the visuals and effects were top notch. I had heard this part and after watching it, it is true .... the plot seems like the writer is making a personal statement about his conceptions on what is happening in the Middle East.

JIMINATOR
04-13-2010, 12:22 AM
lol, I doubt anyone thinks the middle east is a lush utopia. yeah, a lot of people want to make comparisons with colonialism but I don't think that flies very well.

Pathos
04-14-2010, 05:10 AM
How it should have ended. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXraSkgssFk)

JIMINATOR
04-14-2010, 06:53 AM
actually after I posted my comments they are now saying it refers to the amazon jungle.... right.

FUS1ON
04-14-2010, 05:58 PM
How it should have ended. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXraSkgssFk)

That P thing is powerful stuff, we get just a little whiff and we become puppets on a string. :D

Ra\/en
04-15-2010, 09:45 PM
I loved the move. In fact, I even went to see it a second time, which rarely happens.

However, is anybody else surprised at how soon it is arriving on DVD and Blu-ray? I would have thought they wait until the fall or even Christmas. It's not like people are going to forget about it in 8 months.

JIMINATOR
04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
people are still seeing the movie in theaters. perhaps the thought is that dvd now will drive even more people to see it in 3D. This movie is an exception to a lot of rules.

EXEcution
04-16-2010, 03:51 AM
James Cameron prints money!

SASQUATCH
04-17-2010, 12:52 AM
More to me like what happen to the native Americans. The Story and the language is very similar to what happen during the American settlements. This movie was to me more about the land with a spiritual sense of enlighten that brings unity between people, animals of all life and land and without any or either of the sense of spiritual entity, can not go on without each other to survive and excepting it's faith through natural courses.

The key word to distingish the differences is, religion and naturelist.

That is what I vision when I saw this movie not anything else but the similarity of the Native Americans philosophy.

Bingo
04-17-2010, 12:00 PM
I agree. To me it was very much a reflection of native americans.

Of course, the fact that my family is all native american might color my judgement just a hair. lol

Nitro
04-17-2010, 06:01 PM
This is thanks to Avatar: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/brazil/7595834/Amazon-environmentalists-win-bid-to-stall-dam-project.html

threedrunkduck
05-07-2010, 03:20 AM
outstanding technology
I like how the story is made, but not the actual message

Pathos
06-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Damnit Jim, how dare you not give this thread the capitalization's it so richly deserves! (http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/129053027903090394.jpg)

I went and saw this thing four times in 3D. Hell even my mom went and saw it, and she hasn't visited a cinemaplex since What Becomes of the Broken Hearted hit screens over 10 long years ago. And when they shamelessly release the extended cut for a further cash grab, well... it's a good thing blue is my favourite colour.

A plethora of script and story problems meant it wasn't the best movie of the year for me (french kisses to District 9), but it was certainly my favourite! The Lourdes to my crippled sense of wonder. [martyrs self]

Nitro
06-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Damnit Jim, how dare you not give this thread the capitalization's it so richly deserves! (http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/129053027903090394.jpg)

A plethora of script and story problems meant it wasn't the best movie of the year for me (french kisses to District 9), but it was certainly my favourite! The Lourdes to my crippled sense of wonder. [martyrs self]

Avatar has been in the making long before District 9...

Pathos
06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Avatar has been in the making long before District 9...
Oh absolutely, however that's not really relevant to my feelings on it. In fact, if it were, given how long it has been in development, it would transform it's little story hiccups into more of a giant burp, and I really would be forced to come down on the thing.

As it is, I love this flick as if I were a child again... you know, simple love! Unconditional. No dissection needed, wanted or at all necessary (the polar opposite to D9). And a movie hasn't generated that kinda feeling from me in a good while. If I had any say in the matter, I would prefer all my movies delivered in this manner.

Perhaps the secret is to never grow up. Good thing I only ever made it halfway to adulthood.

Nitro
06-22-2010, 10:05 PM
<3 :)