PDA

View Full Version : Sound card or sound on board?

V98ci
02-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Still getting the pieces together for my new system. I have a MSI KT4 Ultra MB and it has 6 channel audio built in. What do you think? Use it or lose it?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a noob at building puters.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
02-27-2003, 09:24 PM
It depends, wishy washy answer I know, but here what I think. If it comes on the MB and you're happy with the sound, don't spend the extra bucks to get a sound card. If you're like me and already have a kick-ass sound card, disable the MB one and use the one you already have. Simple, right? :drink:

Saretta
02-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Well my mom uses her onboard sound and is really happy with it. It sound really good and if u don't want to make many things with music I would use the onboard one. Maybe u should check out if u like the onboard sound and if u are not satisfied with it u can buy a sound card afterwards too.

Death-Dude
02-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Behind You?@Feb 27 2003, 03:24 PM
It depends, wishy washy answer I know, but here what I think.  If it comes on the MB and you're happy with the sound, don't spend the extra bucks to get a sound card.  If you're like me and already have a kick-ass sound card, disable the MB one and use the one you already have.  Simple, right? :drink:
I'm with you on this. I have a SB Live Gamer, but with the newer integrated audio sets out there, as on this board, it might be as good as older cards, like mine. If it will suit your speaker set-up, and you're thinking of buying a sound card, here's my solution. Try the onboard sound, and if you're really not happy, then you can go look for a card that will please. I bet it will do all you want it to.

Pure_Evil
02-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Behind You?@Feb 27 2003, 04:24 PM
It depends, wishy washy answer I know, but here what I think. If it comes on the MB and you're happy with the sound, don't spend the extra bucks to get a sound card. If you're like me and already have a kick-ass sound card, disable the MB one and use the one you already have. Simple, right? :drink:
My first computer built for me had on-board sound and somebody told me that I'd get better performance with a sound card, so I got a SB Live 5.1
Not only did I not notice any difference, I spent money I didn't need too because my speakers are nothing special.

Evaluate what your needs are.