PDA

View Full Version : Lag Lag Lag

Frag Junky
02-28-2003, 07:22 AM
I'm sure this topic has been picked apart by the best. I imagine the thread is so old it is rotten. So I’m a Newbie, big deal, we all got to start somewhere. Besides, I’m tired of getting my A$$ SHOT OFF by you because I can’t move. :bawling:

Other then the biggest and best PC and a T1, I can see no way too reduce Lag. Been Playing SS 1&2 since they were released, but I have only been fraggin for two months, and the concept of Lag is still new to me.

Step 1: I just sold one of my trucks, and I got money to burn on a new game player :jammin: . Here’s the list. I know it is not top of the line, but it’s better then I got.

Asus Motherboard for Intel P4 478 400mhz Retail w/ 4CH Audio
Intel Celeron (Pentium 4 based) 1.7GHz 128K 400MHz
DDR 512MB 333MHz RAM
GeForce 3 Ti200 128MB

Step 2: If I could get a T1, I would, but the wife would kill me. She can’t see spending money on a game Go Figure?. So I settled for a DSL 256. My boy wants to split the cost and go with a DSL 512, She may go for that. I would. Just kidding, she don't mind as long as I wear my headphones after midnight. :P

Without someone hitting the nail on the head as to what causes Lag, That is the best I can do, Any Ideas beyond this.

Goober
02-28-2003, 12:40 PM
The system you describe sounds pretty good, although most would shy away from the celeron and go with an AMD (It will need more cooling though). You need to set your sites higher on the video card. This is what makes the game. The minimum I would suggest is a Gforce 4 Ti 4200, if you have the money a ATI all in wonder 9700 Pro.
Also, the better upload speed on your internet connection, the better your game.

That was my 2 cents worth, you might want to post in the hardware section for better answers.

Frag Junky
03-01-2003, 05:23 AM
I thought about the GeForce 4TI($199), but could not afford it for know. (Maybe next truck I sell). that is one reason I opted for the GeForce3TI 128RAM($99) on board instead of 64. I do agree with your statment about the card, if it would really help that much, maybe I should re-think this. I know I do not want a GeForce4MX. They are much cheaper, but everyone tells me the game is too.

I would have to think about the AMD. My youngest has one, and he has nothing but issues with it. Even with the patches, the only operating system he can run is 2K. we put an Intell on his board for a week our of my server, and he run great. Put the AMD back and wamo. Maybe some just have better luck then I do with them. All in what a person likes.

I go to Lan Partys every now and then, dame great fun, but I get lag even there. Got 100BaseT connections there, so I figure the lag comes from the hardware I am running. 533 Celeron, GForce2 32meg, with 300+ RAM.

The reason i posted here instad of PC is because I wanted answers directly from SS players. I have played games like UT and my boys play one called Battlefield or something. They claim there is no lag.

I am very interested in curing what lag I can, so any insight would be welcome.

I talk to much, yak yak yak. Look at me, I'm turning into my dad :blink:

OUTLAWS The Machine
03-01-2003, 05:51 AM
It's the netcode. The Outlaws had a LAN party last year and we had lag there also. It is not all due to hardware because several of us had top notch rigs at the time ( I had an AMD XP2200, Geforce4 4600, 512Megs DDR) and still had lag.

SALvation
03-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Ask in the hardware section for advice on a new machine. Just post your price limit and you'd be surprised what you could get for it.

GreatWhite
03-11-2003, 04:59 PM
SALvation or OUTLAWS The Machine, can you upload fonts onto the signature, or your account :WTF: