PDA

View Full Version : Father passed away last week

JIMINATOR
03-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Never a sam player, but he was a patriarch for my brothers along with nieces and nephews. You might remember myself, my brother Pete (forget what he played under) brother king george, athena, zena, slick nick, mega john. We had some great times playing.

My father was 78. He went to have some blockages removed from his legs in the hospital last week. After the procedure he said that he felt dead, died in my mothers arms. They revived him for a while but his vitals dropped until he was gone.

Got the call last Wednesday. expected it to be my sister saying everything went fine from the operation. instead this. last talked to my dad the previous Sunday. I did not know at the time it would be the last time ever.

Probably the hardest working and most selfless man I have ever known. A lot of pain now.

Now having to look at my own life, my relationships with family, the things that I do. I am not happy with it. I see that I need to make a lot of changes. Family is pretty much everything. All this other stuff we do is transitory. Can't believe the amount of time I wasted while my daughter has grown up.

http://i.imgur.com/UbbLQ.jpg
My dad, slick nick, me, athena, zena on the bottom.
RIP Dad

TheMaster
03-09-2011, 08:15 PM
:( That's terrible Jim! My sincerest condolences and prayers to you and your family.

Dan2
03-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Sorry to hear that bad news, Jim. may he RIP.

NightBreed
03-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Sorry for your loss Jim...

You're right, family is everything, but try not to dwell on the past and get hung up on " woulda, coulda, shoulda " you'll just drag yourself down in more ways than one..

Live for today and tomorrow, and make every day count..

Hope this made sense, my mind runs faster than my fingers sometimes..

P.S. , was your brother Panagiotis way back then ?

JIMINATOR
03-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Yes, that was him. Thanks all for your comments. Much appreciated, and it does help. Yes, I know I can't change the past. But I can be a better person for my family and to help honor the memory of my dad.

Die Hard
03-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your Father Jim. May he rest in peace.

I guess a lot of people on this forum have not played their family cards very well, me included. It can be an inherent part of game playing.

You're a great guy Jim, so your Father obviousy taught you well. Don't dwell on the past but live for today and tomorrow and make the best of whatever comes your way.

FUS1ON
03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Prayers and thoughts to you and yours

JIMINATOR
03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. It is appreciated.

Nick
03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
My condolences Jim! I also lost my father less than a year after my brother... kind of makes you more attentive to the folks that are left!

JIMINATOR
03-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Thank you Nick. Sorry to hear about your Father, I know it must have been doubly heartbreaking for you.

Grimmy
03-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear that Jim. My condolences to you and your family.

BIGSHOW201
03-12-2011, 08:19 AM
So Sorry For Your Loss Jim, Thoughts And prayers R with You ........

leon
03-15-2011, 12:25 PM
I was so sorry to hear of your dad. Jim.

What a loss for you and the family.

Please accept my deepest condolences.

SASQUATCH
03-18-2011, 09:00 PM
it’s almost impossible to accept what we can not change but only to remember the beautiful moments we have had with our family members and friends. The one thing I have learn over the years was to be able to harness the love and the beautiful moments we spend with our love ones and friends and always keep them in our hearts and minds.

Jim, I do hope the very best for you and the family and that what we could have done better is what makes it even more of a reason to accomplish our task in this world we live in, with hopes of always remembering the beautiful moments of our love ones.

Sad news doesn’t always prepare us but it does at times gives us the motivation to make things better and to recognizing the importance of family and friends.

Jim, you are good and smart man and I know that as time passes, it will leave a sense of peace and private wonderful memories of your father when you begin to spend time alone in thoughts.

Peace to you and to your family, and most of all to your father, may he now rest in peace.

PS - Beautiful picture of the family together Jim. Thank you for sharing it to us.

SAS

Bingo
03-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Jim -

I'm really REALLY sorry to hear that. I went through some crazy health issues with my own dad the last few months of last year. Bad enough that for a week or so we were pretty sure he wasn't going to make it. Even had the whole 'I know I've not been a good father to you' spiel from him. I know how insanely tough that was for me to deal with but ultimately we got him back.

So I can really feel for you. I know how hard it was to think of him not being around but I'm sure it's not as tough as actually having it happen.

If you need anything man, just say the word.

Take care,

B

JIMINATOR
03-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks all for your comments, they are appreciated. My dad did live a pretty full life. He went out really suddenly. Probably doctor error. Can't dwell on it, life has to go on. Biggest impact on my mother, but she always was a tremendously strong willed person. Hope she is able to see some great grandkids. I'm making a lot of long overdue changes for myself. My daughter is off to college in fall, house will be much emptier. I take it all as an opportunity to forge some better relationships with the rest of the family.

ME BIGGD01
03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Jimmy, I just stumbled upon this thread. I noticed your R.I.P. at the bottom of your post yesterday and wasn't sure if that was always there or it was news I missed a while ago. To say the least, I am really very sorry for your loss and your familys loss. You know it's times like this we have to sit back and wonder what the hell are the right words to say. I still don't know but offer you my friendship and heart as you did to me. If I can offer you or anyone any advice when it comes to death, it would be try to remember those things that those who passed put into you for the good. I am sure you have so many memories with your Dad it can be overwhelming but if you think about those personal things that you carried over and learned from your Dad and automatically teach on your children, you will understand what I mean. That spirit will always be with you. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know.

merkwannabe
05-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Man, I'm sorry Jiminator. That's horrible. The part where you said, "after the procedure he said that he felt dead, died in my mothers arms," really moved me. .. ..

And about wasting all that "time" while your daughter was growing up, I think everyone feels that way to a certain degree. The best thing you can do, try to be more present now, (I'm in the same boat). Wake up calls are a rarity and changes almost an impossibility. And.. I mean, I'm not saying you need to change your life, but we should all be more "positively present."

Hope your okay though.

JIMINATOR
05-10-2011, 03:47 AM
Thanks Merk. I am fine. Made some changes. A lot actually. My mom is having the hardest time. What really strikes me is how fast time flies as you get older. You might have kids, they will be in diapers one day, next thing you know, they are graduating. Lot of truth to the saying life every day as if it may be your last. :)

NightBreed
05-12-2011, 01:22 AM
What really strikes me is how fast time flies as you get older. You might have kids, they will be in diapers one day, next thing you know, they are graduating. Lot of truth to the saying life every day as if it may be your last. :)

Wow, ain't that the truth..

It was just yesterday I was holding my two sons in my arms, today one's in college and the other a senior in high school..Been a good run, but time flies...

Sirc
08-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Damn, I'm sorry I missed this Jim. I don't usually pay attention to any thing but OT. I've seen your sig, but I didn't realize there was a thread about.

I'm sorry for your loss.

What an amazing looking family you have. I'm sure your dad, and you yourself, are very proud of them. Your dad left knowing this, and I'm sure he's still smiling. Life is all about family. Looks like he had an excellent life.

JIMINATOR
08-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks Sirc, your thoughts are appreciated. Yeah, now is a time of transition for me. Dad passed away, only child will be off to college in a week. Relationship is in a flux, work is no guarantees, economy sucks. Aside from that everything is great. :)

Seriously though this has been a time of introspection and reevaluation for myself, and a lot of that has been good for me.

Bingo
08-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Jim - glad to hear that you are keeping things on the right track. I'm sure it's not always easy. If you ever need anything, including just a virtual head to blow off, let me know mate. :)