+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spyware removal and general tuneup...

Villains
    You can do a search on Google! I found several versions for each individual Operating system, but this one, http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257 will work on most versions of windows. I've had to use it on four seperate/different operating systems. It can be a life saver.
    [center]

[center]Proud to be in the #1 club[/center]
    [/center]

Adaware Se ver 1.05 is out make sure you download it. It found 80 files on my hard drive that the first edition missed.
    A smile is a light in the window of the soul indicating that the soul is at home.
    ~Anonymous~

You guys should try out Spy Sweeper as well. I have always used Ad Aware SE editon and I decided to try out Spy Sweeper. It found tons of spyware that Ad Aware didn't and even a Trojan Horse.

My Mood
    Amazed
    I use that one frequently, but its a major resource hog to keep it up all the time...

My Mood
    Bored

Processes

Jim, What you think about these????

Administrator
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    More excellent information:
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8428

Link submitted by DiTomasso
    -=(OUTLAWS)=- FUS1ON

Quote Originally Posted by JIMINATOR View Post
    Another note about things like realplayer, quicktime, realscheduler,
    messenger. I don't need any of that crap running at startup, and you
    probably do not either. you may want to nuke them from the startup
    menu or disable the loading in the program settings. You can also
    view startup items by clicking start - run and then typing msconfig.
    this is a microsoft utility that allows you to make changes to your
    startup programs. Useful if you don't have spybot, it shows other info also.
    I didn't have any of those problems until I tried the programs you talked about, I think they are the oenes doing the harm.

My Mood
    Amazed
    I drew up this guide for Goober when he was asking me where I got my USB boot utilities. Thought it might be worthwhile to post this here as others might be able to benefit from it.

The USB trick was obtained from:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    They're quote:
    "Run Ultimate Boot CD from your USB memory stick. A script on the CD prepares your USB memory stick so that it can be used on newer machines that supports booting from USB devices. You can access the same tools as you would from the CD version."
    It was a bit tricky to get working, but you should be able to get it.

Frankly I don't use it anymore as I found mroe effective tools at my disposal and all free. The best program in my arsenol right now is MalwareBytes:
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    This program packs quite a punch capable of gettin rid of even the nastiest of nasties. There are a few paryicularly persistant types that I then call in Dr Web CureIt for:
    http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

My basic bug removal procedure goes along these lines:
    1: Disconnect machine from net physically
    2: Boot to safe mode with networking and disable system restore
    2: Run Autoruns from a flash drive and look for weird entries such as random filenames or blank publisher entries. Most notably in the login, IE, Winsock, winlogon, and known DLL's tabs.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx
    3: If bugs are suspected, take note of the file location and find it through My Computer to delete the file before deleting the startup entry (otherwise it will just come back) Repeat as necessary
    4: Install CCleaner and remove all temp files
    www.ccleaner.com
    5: Connect to the net and install MalwareBytes, do a complete update then disconnect again and run a full scan
    6: Open CCleaner again and clean the registry of invalid entries (there will be plenty when bugs are removed)
    7: Through the control panel open Internet options and reset security to defaults, cookies to medium high, check that proxy options are disabled, and then restore advanced options to defaults. Also check that your homepage has not been changed
    8: Reboot the system after removing any infections to normal mode and proceed with any additional cleanup deemed necessary
    9: Once satisfied the virus has been removed reactivate system restore and create a fresh restore point.

Thats the simplified version pal, but I can't lie. There are a handful fo thigns I do consistantly every time, like autoruns, system restore, and a virus program. But it seems like the bugs are changin faster than the programs can keep up with them. Another trick i have is to buy a $20 USB IDE/SATA HDD adapter from newegg then attach the infected drive to a functioning system (with autoplay disabled on the expected drive letter) and run the scans externally. This has the highest kill ratio because nothing will be running on the drive to confuse the scanner or hide the files. Easiest thing to do pal if you know you have a bug and nothing is finding it, turn the computer off for a few days then come back and update you antivirus, the dat files should have adapted to the new bug and be capable of removing the bug.

Free AntiVirus Programs in order of rank by PCWorld.com:
    Avira Free
    Link
    Avast Free
    Link
    AVG Free
    Link

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234