+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Layered letters/numbers in Photoshop

Administrator
    My Mood
    Sneaky

Layered letters/numbers in Photoshop

I had done this for someone at another forum and figured i'd post it here too.

This sounds strange but for a two layer effect you only need one layer, for a three layer effect you only need two layers, for a three layer effect ..... well I think you get the picture.

1) Type your letters or numbers. The color is not important at this time except that it needs to be a different color than your background so you can see it.
    2) Over in the layers console section, right click on the layer with the letters/numbers on it and duplicate it.
    3) Left click on the two layers while holding down the Shift key so you can select both of them, then right click on either of them and use the link layers option to link them together. This way you can drag them if need be.
    4) Right click on the bottom letter/number layer and go to blending options, go to the stroke settings.
    5) Select a stroke color (Red in the three layer example) and set the stroke width to 6
    6) Right click on the upper letter/number layer and go to blending options, go to the stroke settings.
    7) Select a stroke color and set the stroke width to 3.
    8) Stay on the upper layer (Black in the three layer example) and go to Color overlay, Gradient overlay or Pattern Overlay and add whatever effect you want which gives you the third layer effect. In the example I used a gold Holo fill pattern.

- For a two layer effect you would only use one layer so skip steps 2-6 and do the rest of the steps.
    - For a four layer effect just duplicate the letter/number layer a third time and use 9, 6, 3 as your stroke widths.
    - You will run into times when the widths I used will be too wide or too small so adjust the stroke widths until it looks right to you.

Last edited by FUS1ON; 11-24-2006 at 04:51 PM.
    -=(OUTLAWS)=- FUS1ON

My Mood
    Lurking
    Great post; i didn't know that.
    ....Too fast to live, too young to die....

....In Hiding.....

Very nice sho, I will try that sometime soon.
    GameMecca FFL '07 Fantasy Football Champion

x5

+ Reply to Thread