+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dark Knight IMAX Feature

My Mood
    Pensive

Dark Knight IMAX Feature

I had gone to see I Am Legend today at the local IMAX theater and while the film was pretty mediocre the Dark Knight 7 minute feature was pretty interesting.

Without giving away too much I just want to mention that you DO get to see Ledger as the Joker in full makeup at the end. I thought that he put on a solid 7 minute performance and his voice is great as are his unique looks.

The feature works great as a teaser and could be regarded as the first 7 minutes of the upcoming Dark Knight film. After the 6 minute "sequence" there is a brief montage showing Bale as Batman and a few more shots of the Joker. Harvey Dent a.k.a Two-Face do not make an appearance and I didn't notice Maggie Gyllenhaal as Wayne's former love interest Rachel Dawes, formerly played by Katie Holmes.

I think that I enjoyed the feature more so than I Am Legend. So for all of the hardcore Batman fans (Pathos!!) be on the lookout for this and possibly more upcoming info and footage from the film.
    My Serious Sam Vids:
    Damnation - Frag
    You Wouldn't Believe - Trick

I'll be paying the $12 next weekend when I'm in GR, more to see this than I Am Legend (though I was hoping that would be better than you're saying it is)

How much is ledger in it? I got the impression it was only for like 30 - 45 seconds.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheCkroach View Post
    I'll be paying the $12 next weekend when I'm in GR, more to see this than I Am Legend (though I was hoping that would be better than you're saying it is)

How much is ledger in it? I got the impression it was only for like 30 - 45 seconds.
    Again I don't want to give too much away but he's there for a longer time than that.

I'm not saying that I Am Legend was bad because it certainly wasn't it's just that it felt generic and very "28 Day's Later"-ish. I like Will Smith as an actor and he pulled off the role well but there is very little back story in the film albeit a few flashbacks and the premise is strange but predictable.

Overall the movie isn't too deep and I kinda prefer a deeper and darker movie especially if it deals with something like the extinction of the human race.
    My Serious Sam Vids:
    Damnation - Frag

Quote Originally Posted by EXEcution View Post
    Again I don't want to give too much away but he's there for a longer time than that.
    You can PM me more details (or hit me on MSN) if you want. I read a spoiler of what happens in the thing already, so I don't think you'll shock me w/ anything new at all.

On another question, the review I read said something like

"Know that it was badass. Forget Nicholson, forget Mark hamill, forget caesar romero, forget The Killing Joke. Heath Ledger is THE definitive joker."

Would you agree?

My Mood
    Pensive
    You can PM me more details (or hit me on MSN) if you want. I read a spoiler of what happens in the thing already, so I don't think you'll shock me w/ anything new at all.

On another question, the review I read said something like

"Know that it was badass. Forget Nicholson, forget Mark hamill, forget caesar romero, forget The Killing Joke. Heath Ledger is THE definitive joker."

Would you agree?
    Ok well if anyone else is interested in what happens here are the more specific details SPOILERIZED.

The entire segment consists of a bunch of criminals with clown masks attempting to rob a bank. We soon find out that it is no regular bank but one that has connections with the Gotham City mob. One by one each clown is killed off in order for the other to reap the benefit of the robbery. In the end one masked crook remains alive after gunning down a school bus driver who is the getaway driver. There are more details but thats the rundown so far.

In the end we see the last perp take off his mask and reveal the fully painted face of the Joker. He walks over to the bank manager who is lying on the ground and dying from his bullet wounds which he sustained after trying to curtail the robbery. He then places a poisonous smoke grenade into the mouth of the manager and utters the phrase "whatever doesn’t kill us makes us stranger" and proceeds to walk away carrying a string attached to the grenade pin. The pin falls out and we see the bank manager gag on the gas. (I don't know if it's the Joker's signature "laughing gas" but it seems to be toxic). In the end as the police sirens are heard nearing the bank the school bus pulls out of the rubble and joins a line of other school buses while the police cars drive by. So it seems that the Joker has pulled of a "perfect" bank robbery.

As for the Joker being played by Ledger I think that it's a fitting role. Ledger has fitting features and since he will be scarred and wearing the clown makeup throughout the entire film I think that the audience will see him for the character as opposed to the actor.

I never liked Nicholson as the Joker. Especially the way he went from being a mobster to a clown psycho. While Nicholson is a great actor I don't think that he was the best Joker. Mark Hamill has a great voice for the Joker but because of his age I don't think it would have been wise to cast him as the villain in The Dark Knight. I never saw Ceasar Romero as the Joker so I cannot judge there but I would assume that he made the Joker out to be quite campy and less violent. I haven't read the Killing Joke but I plan on it since I have come to enjoy reading comics once again after reading Alan Moore's "Watchmen".

I really think the Joker is one of the most interesting villains in both the DC, Marvel, movie, and book universe. It's rare that we see psychopaths with a sense of humor and the potential to be incredibly destructive and vile. He never seems to die and always has some interesting gags and henchmen who follow in his footsteps.

BTW Here's a link to the latest TDK trailer.
    My Serious Sam Vids:
    Damnation - Frag

Quote Originally Posted by EXEcution View Post
    I never liked Nicholson as the Joker. Especially the way he went from being a mobster to a clown psycho. While Nicholson is a great actor I don't think that he was the best Joker. Mark Hamill has a great voice for the Joker but because of his age I don't think it would have been wise to cast him as the villain in The Dark Knight. I never saw Ceasar Romero as the Joker so I cannot judge there but I would assume that he made the Joker out to be quite campy and less violent. I haven't read the Killing Joke but I plan on it since I have come to enjoy reading comics once again after reading Alan Moore's "Watchmen".

I really think the Joker is one of the most interesting villains in both the DC, Marvel, movie, and book universe. It's rare that we see psychopaths with a sense of humor and the potential to be incredibly destructive and vile. He never seems to die and always has some interesting gags and henchmen who follow in his footsteps.
    I would agree with what you said there pretty closely. Joker is one of the most intriguing (though Two-face and perhaps riddler - NOT b/c of Batman Forever - are probably my 2 favorites). I never liked nicholson's Joker, but I think that was more how the story made him than nicholson. Lord knows Nicholson can do nuts. I would never have suggested Hamill do a live-action joker, but his voice will always be my sentimental favorite, and the voice that I associate most closely with, as I watched the batman cartoon diligently as a kid (and plan on buying the DVDs). Killing Joke is fantastic, and dark. Your correct about Romero's Joker being much less violent - that entire 1960's series was very much less violent in favorite of a bunch of 60's crap. I mean...they do the "Bat-twosie" dance!

I'm very, very excited about seeing this next Monday.

My Mood
    Pensive
    I would agree with what you said there pretty closely. Joker is one of the most intriguing (though Two-face and perhaps riddler - NOT b/c of Batman Forever - are probably my 2 favorites). I never liked nicholson's Joker, but I think that was more how the story made him than nicholson. Lord knows Nicholson can do nuts. I would never have suggested Hamill do a live-action joker, but his voice will always be my sentimental favorite, and the voice that I associate most closely with, as I watched the batman cartoon diligently as a kid (and plan on buying the DVDs). Killing Joke is fantastic, and dark. Your correct about Romero's Joker being much less violent - that entire 1960's series was very much less violent in favorite of a bunch of 60's crap. I mean...they do the "Bat-twosie" dance!

I'm very, very excited about seeing this next Monday.
    I really liked the Batman cartoons as well.

I just feel like the Riddler and the Mad Hatter are spinoffs from the Joker. I also like Two-Face along with the Scarecrow and not the wimpy Cillian Murphy version. I like the darker characters. I thought that the Firefly was interesting. I have also read a bunch of stuff about the Black Mask but never read or saw any cartoons about him. Supposedly he was REALLY big in the comics and very deranged.
    My Serious Sam Vids:
    Damnation - Frag

I like scarecrow too, and honestly feel like the Cillian Murphy version wasn't so much wimpy, as just not fleshed out enough. I think they really need to stop the 2 bad guy thing (scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul), which they appear to have done in this one.

Can't say that I've heard of the Black Mask, but if he was over 1 specific storyline, then that doesn't necessarily surprise me.

You should look into and read the "Nightfall" story arc. Very, VERY good series of books, though it can take a while to get ahold of them all. You can get the main chunk of it in 3 graphic novels that combine that various comics, but they leave chunks out.

They're comics from about 90-91 or so, and you're probably talking about 30 or more comics in all, as it spanned "Batman", "Legends of the Dark Knight", "Robin" and a few other series as well. It's INCREDIBLY well done, though, and fairly dark.

I have them all, so worst case scenario, I could bring them to {DS} next year, but you have to read them while you're there, unless you want to pay the crazy fee to ship them back when you're done

+ Reply to Thread