+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Ok,Ok, I haven't seen this yet. I have IMAX tickets for 8:45 EST tonight. I just wanted to say something.

Not using spoiler tags is always deplorable, but I understand that people do it sometimes. Accidents happen. That said, if anyone spoils anything from this movie in clear text, I'm gonna gut you like a pig Just wanted to make sure we cleared that up

Joking, of course, I wouldn't hurt any of you folks, but please - please don't spoil this. My inner child begs you not too. My giddiness is through the roof (i'm literally sitting here, bouncing in anticipation) and I just don't want this spoiled for me

Oh, and you can count on a review from me tonight, if I can. I'm in the process of moving and the new place doesn't have internet hooked up yet, so it all depends on if I can grab up a neighbor's wifi
    Last edited by BobtheCkroach; 07-18-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Limited Edition
    Imax here in the city is sold out for like 3 weeks now. It has a 9.7 on IMDB already which is ****ing nuts. I honestly think it will make over $150 million opening weekend and overall, make more money than Shrek 2 made, putting it in the top 5 of al ltime

This movie was sick. I wont spoil it for you but its very surprising.

Immense, visceral and gritty, there's really only one word that does this film justice: Epic.

I've seen it twice now and i still can't clear my head. What shocked me a little is how DIFFERENT this is to the temperament of the first film; it truly NEEDED to be so, but i am astounded that a Hollywood production of this magnitude could identify this and flow and adapt with such clarity of vision; this Darkest of Knights is truly in no way a rehash. Where the first was an intimate animal, methodical in its approach, this beast is grandiose and boldly operatic. The narrative here is the complete and utter, total fulfillment of the path strewn and promise shown in Batman Begins.

I pity the younger kids that see this. Most are only going to see the cool toys, gadgets, action and costumes. I cannot emphasize enough how superficial all that is to the layers this thing will slowly, delightfully, horrifically, peel before you. This truly transcends the "comic book movie" tag and sweeps itself grandly up into the "great fu#%ing FILM" shelf. Right at the top there next to the best of anything else you'll see this year. Perhaps even out of reach of those.

Why is Heath Ledger listed in the credits? Where was he? Heath Ledger is not in this film. It is only the Joker, the Joker as you've simply never seen him onscreen, the way he was always MEANT TO BE. The way few can write him, even in comics or graphic novels. Finally we get to see just how and WHY this skinny, scarred little guy in makeup, above any other man alive, can be and is Batman's, and by extension Gotham's, irrefutable number one true nemesis, forever and all time feared. To label the Joker simply "crazy" is a naive disservice. Utterly disturbing, he is a completely unpredictable force of nature who through his brilliant dementia is every bit as resourceful and powerful as our caped crusader. This is not a veneration, as above all else, this Joker is frickin' scary! When he laughs, you tremble and pee.

And pitted against him is the return of the strongest realisation of the Batman character ever put to screen.

Let me belatedly qualify. It's not perfect, no film is or can be. I have both fanboy and film-critical gripes (which i'll no doubt talk about in spoilerish detail at some calmer point), but truly, at the end of the day it just doesn't get served up much better than this. Films like these are one a decade.

The hell you still reading this for? This is not a wait-for-rental, small-screen 50 inch experience, folks. Get your ass into that cinemaplex, strap yourself down and keep the oxygen handy...

....you'll need it when you see the origin of the Bat-pod - i'm still geeking!

[dons pillow-cowl and smacks up nearest clown dolly]
    Last edited by Pathos; 07-19-2008 at 03:05 PM.

GARSH.

Even though I can't help but annoyingly hear Flavor Flave yell at me "don't believe the hype," I feel obligated to dress like batman and start screaming in the streets for the joker to find me. Yes, yes some ironic twist of character roles it will be. I haven't even seen the movie. I'm basing this urge off of the preview, the "hype," and my dark imagination. hehehh

Everything I wanted, and so much more.

Ledger lived up to the billing 200%, and is absolutely stunning.

I had but 1 gripe with the movie, but I can get over my personal disagreements in favor of how awesome this movie was
    i was PISSED that two-face died! I wanted to see a full-blown movie with him in it - Aaron Eckhart is awesome, and two-face is personally my favorite bat-villian

The first time I heard that this movie transcended being just a "superhero movie" and became a full-fledged "regular, dramatic movie", I figured that was hype. When I heard Roeper say that the movie could honestly get a best picture nod, I laughed openly. Not anymore.

[insert clever tag here] JIMINATOR's Avatar
    excellent movie, very enjoyable. I was somewhat expecting a stupid adaptation, glad to see that was not the case.
    RIP Father.

My Mood
    Fine
    Yep. I saw it today as well. Holy crap.

Heath did live up to the hype - acting wise. What was great was not just his acting, but that the "production" of creating this Joker was up to it as well. I loved how the makeup looked - I loved how it changed here and there. It totally worked to crank up the disjointed, crazy feel.

You really did get the feel of a hero/nemesis thing unlike any other movie I can think of.

All in all, an excellent movie.

Not for the kiddies!

B
    -=(OUTLAWS)=- Bingo My Trade List

Limited Edition
    it's #1 on IMDB!!! i think im in heaven. take that godfather

Looks like our dark friend has opened rather well. These are from Joblo and Latino Review respectively:

A round of applause for TDK!

Well, nobody can say that we didn't see this coming, but in all honestly, I didn't think THE DARK KNIGHT had the kind of "general appeal" that would smash all-time box-office records, but I was wrong as hell, as TDK opened with $155M in its first three days of release, besting SPIDER-MAN 3's previous record of $151M (see all-time list of biggest opening HERE). Just as a reminder, 2005's BATMAN BEGINS only opened with $48M and went on to gross $205M, which is probably what TDK will have made by next weekend!

The buzz, pre-ticket sales and early reviews of the film had all been extremely positive, leading to a weekend opening much like a perfect storm. Not to mention that the film also represented late actor Heath Ledger biggest screen role to date, which many agree will be nominated for an Oscar at the end of the year. Others are debating whether or not the film itself should also earn a 'Best Picture' nomination for the filmmakers, but I guess only time will tell us that. The one thing that is for sure is that fanboys were not disappointed in the film, as TDK has already surpassed THE GODFATHER as the #1 rated film on the IMDB.
    Studio distribution chief Dan Fellman says "The Dark Knight" also broke the "Spider-Man 3" record for best debut in IMAX large-screen theaters with $6.2 million. "Spider-Man 3" opened with $4.7 million in IMAX cinemas.
    And thank god for that. Spider-Dud 3 was the deal-breaking Batman & Robin of the spidey franchise. Days like this the entire world briefly makes sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast