+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Watchmen

Watchmen

No thread about this one yet?

I haven't read the comics but I did read the interviews about the movie prior.
    After seeing the movie my conclusion is that the comics are probably better because they will have more time to develop the evolution in the story and the psychological struggles of the superheroes.

The movie is well made (visually, effects) but left me with an odd feeling. The twists in the storyline make it difficult to figure out what the main thing is to concentrate on ( the murder investigation, the political background, the history/background of the superheroes, their personal/psychological lives). The movie also mocks its own genre ("don't think that I'm one of those comic book heroes that tells you its evil plan when you can still do something about it). This prevented me at times to be sucked in to the story.

Rorschach is the only consistent character throughout the movie and I enjoyed how he is portrayed (the prison scenes are one of the best parts in the movie imho).

other good part of this movie to mention: the sex scene in the owl

The soundtrack was carefully selected and is very good, worth buying the cd

Final conclusion, would have been better to wait for the dvd and read the comics instead.
    Last edited by Aries; 03-18-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: added a comment about soundtrack

My Mood
    Pensive
    I agree completely. If you have not read the comic book (which I have), there is a good chance that you will get confused or lost in the story. Snyder and his writers took several liberties with the story as well. The ending in the movie is different from the ending in the comic.

In my opinion, the comic ties everything together very nicely. There is even a story within the graphic novel that serves as an allegory for the events taking place. Overall, it's a pretty complex piece of literature. If you have some spare time I highly recommend reading it.
    My Serious Sam Vids:
    Damnation - Frag
    You Wouldn't Believe - Trick

Limited Edition
    9/10

+ Reply to Thread