+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games

Seriously? No Hunger Games thread here? This was a REALLY powerful movie in my opinion. And not entirely in a good way. For me, I knew nothing about the film coming in. As I saw the plot unfold and realized what was about to happen, I got a sickening feeling in my gut and it stayed there the rest of the movie. I was intensely upset ... even angry at the class divisions and how the "haves" treated the "have-nots." So much so, that I was dripping sweat toward the end of the movie as the anger fueled a rise in temperature (despite the nearly frigid temp in the theater).

Despite all of this, or perhaps because of it, I felt like the movie was really moving and had some powerful things to say about class warfare and the value of human life. Part of my concern once I figured out what the movie was about was that it was going to turn into some kind of Gladiator meets Survivor in a grotesque clash of intense violence. While there were some intense scenes, they struck a nice balance between not shying away from the horrific situations and yet not displaying the full gore that was going on.

I would strongly recommend seeing this film, but it will go better for you if you know a little bit of what it is about. I won't ruin that here for any that haven't seen it. I would also venture to say that the subject matter is probably a bit much for pre-teen and younger kiddos IMHO. It is a pretty mature film for PG-13. Still an appropriate rating. Just sayin...

I gave this one a 9/10.

My Mood
    Pensive
    IMO it was terrible. Camera work was too shaky for the scenes... (it's an open field FFS). The premise is dumb. Yea I get the whole balance, class struggle and hope themes, but it just seems so contrived. Woody's character was undeveloped, just like everyone else except for the main girl/boy lovers. The story is purposefully manipulating the audience to feel bad for the main characters and to emphasize with them, but I just wasn't feeling it.

Maybe kids "justifiably" killing kids isn't the message that the creators are trying to send, but for the majority of the undeveloped teens and college students who saw this it might be the only "point" that was brought across. There was no closure that essentially condemned murder since everyone was cheering for the "good guys" at the end.

5/10 for me
    My Serious Sam Vids:
    Damnation - Frag
    You Wouldn't Believe - Trick

Administrator
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    I just enjoy movies for what they are, I plop down my coin and expect to be entertained for the next few hours and I was with this flick ... 7/10
    -=(OUTLAWS)=- FUS1ON

I didn't like the movie because the story jumps right into action which at times is good but for this it didn't tell me why and how it all started but of course I had some idea.

I truly believe that this movie was over rated but yet it made a lot of money. Now a days I don't go by how its rated on iTunes anymore because lately people have been rating movies that are awful and not consider to watch at all.

People have different taste and I understand that but this movie I rated a 2 out of 5.

As for the book it gain a great deal of notice but making it a movie is a whole lot different and can be destroyed by directors and producers.
    RIP my friend and in spirit.
    1982 - 2007 R.I.P. Mark a.k.a. Freestyler

The Kool-Aid Pimp Dangerous Dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Only movie I've seen in the theaters this year; I thought it was pretty good and I'm looking forward to the remainder of the trilogy

+ Reply to Thread