+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Indie Game: The Movie

Indie Game: The Movie

Every quarter when I punch that dusty GameMecca bookmark... I'm always mildly shocked when I'm not hit with a dead link or domain for sale notice. Pleasantly so! Nostalgia totally justifies the cost. [thanks benefactor with a really laggy 1.07 salute]

Anyway, I just watched Indie Game: The Movie and it logically brought me here. Go see it and let us all once again be one. [pixelated hug]

My Mood
    Lurking
    Pathos you old greasy wog [hugs] Going to download and watch it this very minute
    ....Too fast to live, too young to die....

....In Hiding.....

My Mood
    Confused
    Good to see you around Pathos. I'll check out the movie.

Good to hear from you, my droogies! [privately captions your avatars and spawns a seedy new breed of black market goodness]

And harken! For Indie Game: The Movie now has an epilogue-laden special edition! I must admit to being strangely keen to check out what became of those gaming scallywags (I'd use Google or Wikipedia but that could very well be the extra mouse click or two that finally brings on RSI...)

[insert clever tag here] JIMINATOR's Avatar
    hey man, good to hear from you! you have probably heard news about mr fez drama queen, someone hurt his feelings so he has cancelled fez 2.
    RIP Father.

Sir Jiminator! [sidles up to you and coaxes you into some synchronised, slow-motion hair tossing]

This reminds me - those of you so inclined should hit me up on The Metaphoric Ass End of the Modern World. Was online buds with a lot of you on MySpace but of course that place has long ago become a one-word laugh track.

Anyhoo, Jim I did indeed catch the explosion of hullabaloo on twitter, and even better the subsequent mini-splosion when the world scrambled to tweet on what led to it all. Was rather a fun time! Of course, not sure why anyone was remotely surprised or upset - I mean, did they not see how Mr Fish was carrying on in the damn doco? He pouted, whined, ranted and oh-so-laboriously slinked his way along some holy route to the great kingdom of Fez, and we the masses were and continue to be but an excremental, human oil slick for him to ponderously navigate. He's a total douche and I like him for it! Or at least the theater of it. Gives us all a chance to wisecrack and work on our popcorn hurling accuracy. The fact his game was not only eventually released but actually good just somehow made it all funnier.

Come now though, who honestly doesn't expect the Fish King won't recant on an eventual sequel (no doubt professing we somehow misconstrued his words)? Heck even then we've probably got a 10+ year wait and all those expectant kids will have grown to family men and no longer care or even know what a Fez or a Fish is. Because our oceans will have dried up. Also we'll have flying cars and all we'll want to do is drive them and talk about how awesome they are.

Seriously I really want a flying car. Back to the Future 2 you lied to me.

As for Indie Game: Special Edition - I bought the extra content and it was good value. In particular the change in Tommy was astounding; the man is now all oneness and zen and The Dude abides and just generally enjoying life (spoiler: he got married and laid you see). That'll do me for a happy ending.

I saw this movie and it was very good to watch. I just finish making a simple game called Ghoul Invaders in Unity 3D. I also made a few iPhone apps too.
    The game I created is being tested as we speak by friends and they love it. It's a simple game, in which is why I created it and its very much like the old space invaders but with my own creative graphic images and characters. I watch a lot of people on the way to work to the city and they give me ideas of simple games that many seem to like to play and Ghoul Invaders fits perfectly for it. It's not out in the market yet but when I do get it ready, it will be free.

I am working on the next project on my own and it will be a third person view and you will be able to switch to first person view. I got it to run, jump, climb, fighting style, swim, jumping, crouching to sneak and more. It's really coming around nicely and smoothly the animation that you hook up with the script codes. This project will be to learn how to create a AI game when it's done. It will be good practice for me while my other company that I work for as a consultant, they have me coding there indie game and It will be for xBox the game and will go on to iPhone and android phone and tablets, once it's completed in xBox.

The hardest part is the different platforms, for example Apple uses Objective-C and, Unity uses C# or J-Script and Unreal Engine uses C++. C++ very powerful language and the new UnrealEngine 4 is now out. So many languages to learn and been working on Java a lot lately for my main company that I work for in the city. I hate it because it is about business apps and debugging but it helps to pay the bills. The other company I work for is fun. They have me do 3D animation, sometimes I have to code which is the worse part of it and designing the UI for the game. It’s a lot of fun to watch it complete.
    Like for example, I was at work late hours as always and I decided to take a break and show off my little game to my department and we spend over an hour trying to beat my record high score of my game I created. Everyone was fighting over who goes next and I enjoy to see how popular this simple game I created. It was so funny to watch my boss and many of my co-workers fighting over who will score the highest.

The movie tells a lot of what goes on when making the game and it can be frustrating and at times you want to quit. The one thing about the movie is when it comes out the game, will it be fun to play it and will the people enjoy it. As for making the money, I like what the develop said, that when making a game, you have to enjoy it. Not to expect to make money but to enjoy what you made. It’s Difficult and competitive the game market industry, but the key is not how good you can make a game but how good it will attract people to play it, and a simple games do go far. As for big games, requires like 20 to 25 people to help with it and a lot of money to create that special new super game. Not to forget how long it takes to make great sophisticated games at a higher level will average about 3 years to finish.

The movie is an excellent for people who are interested to making games. It will have it’s Pros and Cons, but keep this mind that they are many ways to create games without having programming knowledge but if you plan to make apps, consider the basics and if you have good skills and yet not all good in designing, higher someone to make a few designs of characters or a Back ground. It can be cheap too and a lot easier to focus on coding or the foundations that are require when developing games.

Z-project is one that if you don’t have any code or graphic experience, this will help a lot and it’s a lot easier to compile it to different platform for users to play. A lot more of other things you can use like at Facebook has something that is so easy to make games for the web and on facebook web site for friends to play. I would go into it in more detail but it would take so much to read about it but there are many resource information on the web to learn and to create your first game.

What I use requires C++, C, C#, Java, Objective-C and many more languages I know and it took time to learn it too. If you are really serious about programming, take the time to learn 1 hour a day, within 6 to 8 months, you can find a job in that language. It only requires consistency and dedication of one hour a day and trust me, you will see results.

Well, I spoken too much as always and it’s been a long time since I posted. I wanted to say hello to everyone and I do hope everyone is doing fine. I myself have been doing very well but have been so busy and have been traveling but always fine time to eat well and exercise.

Peace to all, eat healthy and exercise.
    RIP my friend and in spirit.
    1982 - 2007 R.I.P. Mark a.k.a. Freestyler

+ Reply to Thread